The Best Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Quick Bread – One thing that really gets my goat is when people disparage a gluten free diet by saying we don’t consume enough whole grains. First of all, the majority of Americans do not eat enough whole grains – it is a common flaw in the Standard American Diet (SAD) so why pick on the gluten intolerant? Second of all, I personally think that people who follow a gluten free diet are much more health savvy than the average Joe or Jane and we probably do eat more whole grains than most. But that is just my opinion and unfortunately no one really asks me my opinion!
One thing I do know for sure is that the main streaming of gluten free has resulted in an abundance of processed gluten free foods in the marketplace and our diet can now replicate the Standard American Diet much more closely than ever before. This has its advantages but also its drawbacks, one of which, being a diet that can be higher in refined grains than in whole grains.
The health benefits of eating a diet rich in whole grains are plenty and they include a lowered risk of stroke, heart disease and Type 2 Diabetes as well as better weight management and bettering blood pressure levels. Ok, great.. but what is a whole grain?
A whole grain is defined as a grain that includes the bran, germ and endosperm as opposed to a refined grain in which the bran and germ have been removed in processing.
Whole grains you want to look for on a gluten free diet include Amaranth, Buckwheat, Corn, Millet, Quinoa, Brown Rice, Sorghum and Teff.
Personally I like to sneak whole grains into things where is not expected and as always, I like to keep things as simple as possible. This gluten free recipe is made with superfine brown rice flour and Solo Foods Poppy Seed Cake and Pastry Filling making it whole grain, super simple and super yummy!
I think this quick bread recipe demonstrates that we gluten free not only can get plenty of whole grains in our diet but that we do it deliciously!
Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Quick Bread
- 1 cups superfine brown rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 12.5 ounce can Solo Poppy Seed Cake and Pastry Filling
- 2 large eggs
- cup grapeseed (or other neutral flavored) oil1 lemon – zest (finely grated) and juice1 cup milk (dairy free is fine)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with gluten free non-stick cooking spray and line with a piece of parchment paper that overhangs on the sides.
- Whisk together the brown rice flour, tapioca starch, salt and baking powder.
- Beat the Poppy Seed filling, eggs, oil and lemon jest on medium high speed of a mixer until it doubles in volume, 2 – 3 minutes.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the flour mixture slowly.
- Add the milk and mix until combined. Scrap the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl well with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 50 – 60 minutes or until browned and a tooth pick inserted into the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Mix the lemon juice with the powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle onto the cooled loaf and let set for a few minutes.
- A gluten free recipe that makes one 9 by 5 inch loaf of quick bread.
Want to know more about your favorite Gluten Free Recipe or how to avoid being bothered by Celiac with our range of Gluten Free Recipes which are made from Gluten Free raw material feel free to visit us at: Resepkubunda.com